[Twisted-Python] Bloat (was Re: [Twisted-commits] DependentMultiService - chained start/stop of services in a sensible order)

Jp Calderone exarkun at intarweb.us
Sun Apr 13 23:31:02 EDT 2003

On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 07:32:25PM -0500, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:

> This patch strikes me as unnecessary:
>
> On Sunday, April 13, 2003, at 03:48 PM, etrepum CVS wrote:
>
> >Modified files:
> >Twisted/twisted/internet/app.py 1.89 1.90
> >
> >Log message:
> >DependentMultiService - chained start/stop of services in a sensible
> >order
>
> but I would like to discuss it and other patches like it.  Not to pick
> on bob here; there isn't really a policy on avoiding bloat in Twisted,
> so it can't be said that this is a violation of anything in particular.
>  I just think we need one.
>
> First, my question is: do we have more than one or two users who
> actually need this functionality?  If it's a real, present need for a
> wide variety of applications, then much of this criticism does not
> apply.

  I think I need this, but order is such a hard topic, I've mostly ignored
it and relied on luck to keep my app working instead of coming up with a
good solution.  I'm not entirely sure (and I won't be devoting time to the
project where it's needed in the near future) DependentMultiService solves
my use-case, but if not, something like it probably would.

  Jp

--
"The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt but it has
 always been nothing more than politics in disguise ... economics is a form