[Twisted-Python] Bloat (was Re: [Twisted-commits] DependentMultiService - chained start/stop of services in a sensible order)

Jp Calderone exarkun at intarweb.us
Sun Apr 13 23:31:02 EDT 2003

On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 07:32:25PM -0500, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
> This patch strikes me as unnecessary:
> On Sunday, April 13, 2003, at 03:48 PM, etrepum CVS wrote:
> >Modified files:
> >Twisted/twisted/internet/app.py 1.89 1.90
> >
> >Log message:
> >DependentMultiService - chained start/stop of services in a sensible
> >order
> but I would like to discuss it and other patches like it.  Not to pick
> on bob here; there isn't really a policy on avoiding bloat in Twisted,
> so it can't be said that this is a violation of anything in particular.
>  I just think we need one.
> First, my question is: do we have more than one or two users who
> actually need this functionality?  If it's a real, present need for a
> wide variety of applications, then much of this criticism does not
> apply.

  I think I need this, but order is such a hard topic, I've mostly ignored
it and relied on luck to keep my app working instead of coming up with a
good solution.  I'm not entirely sure (and I won't be devoting time to the
project where it's needed in the near future) DependentMultiService solves
my use-case, but if not, something like it probably would.

"The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt but it has
 always been nothing more than politics in disguise ... economics is a form
 of brain damage."  -- Hazel Henderson