[Twisted-Python] Bloat (was Re: [Twisted-commits] DependentMultiService - chained start/stop of services in a sensible order)

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sun Apr 13 22:54:11 EDT 2003

On Sunday, Apr 13, 2003, at 20:32 America/New_York, Glyph Lefkowitz
wrote:

> This patch strikes me as unnecessary:
>
> On Sunday, April 13, 2003, at 03:48 PM, etrepum CVS wrote:
>
>> Modified files:
>> Twisted/twisted/internet/app.py 1.89 1.90
>>
>> Log message:
>> DependentMultiService - chained start/stop of services in a sensible
>> order
>
> but I would like to discuss it and other patches like it.  Not to pick
> on bob here; there isn't really a policy on avoiding bloat in Twisted,
> so it can't be said that this is a violation of anything in
> particular.  I just think we need one.
>
> First, my question is: do we have more than one or two users who
> actually need this functionality?  If it's a real, present need for a
> wide variety of applications, then much of this criticism does not
> apply.

Do we have more than two users that _know_ they need/want this
functionality?  Probably not, yet.

Here's a use case.  Let's say you have some sort of service hierarchy
that resembles a system startup.  The way Darwin does this is that it
has plist files bundled with the actual "rc" scripts that determine
which services get started and in what order by SystemStarter.  Here's
an example plist file (in NeXT format, because XML is retarded) for the
LDAP service:
{
   Description     = "LDAP";
   Provides        = ("LDAP");
   Requires        = ("Network Configuration", "DirectoryServices");
   OrderPreference = "None";
}

In this case, in order for LDAP to start, the services that provide
Network Configuration and DirectoryServices must already be running.
It doesn't care which ordering bucket it sits in (OrderPreference can
be Last, First, etc.), and it provides LDAP functionality to other
services that want it.

DependentMultiService is a very crude basis for such a mechanism,
because I don't need that kind of functionality yet.  However, it does
provide a pretty decent base class for a future Twisted "SystemStarter"
equivalent... which we *should* want to have someday.

Thinking like this could potentially make things such as tying
authorizers to pb services and whatnot easier, if they're done in a
service collection manner rather than just tied to the same parent.
However, as you said, app and cred are already nasty and need a major
refactoring.

>> +        # Warning:  On failure, service stops are not
>> +        # chained.  However, they will stop in the proper order.
>
> "utility" patches like this will invariably fail to take edge cases
> into account well.  I wouldn't say it's immediately obvious how
> edge-cases *should* be taken into account, personally, but I would
> guess that half-changing the semantics of the ordering in case of
> failure is not the correct thing to do.

Basically, it's not at all obvious what you do if you have a failure in
a collection of interdependent services.  On startup or shutdown, if
one fails, you obviously aren't going to be able to say that whole
collection is started or stopped properly, so I make the remainder of
the running services shut down immediately.  The only difference in
semantics is that once a failure happens, the service stopping is no
longer chained (the rest of the running services get stopService called
immediately).  It really depends on what kind of services you have to
determine whether you want to try and chain this or not.. but in most
cases, startService and stopService don't return deferreds anyways, and
in even more cases, you don't expect them to fail.  I'll go ahead and
add an __init__ option that lets you decide which behavior gets chosen
in the case of a failure.

Also, the fact that I'm returning a deferred here either way means that
it's probably possible that you could even set a timeout.. which is
kind of cool, but I've said before that the Deferred timeout API can
cause some issues (it can't actually make something NOT happen.. which
is really unfortunate).  I really think there should be an API to
cancel Deferreds, and the methods that return them should be refactored
to respect a cancel whenever possible.

-bob