[Twisted-Python] Bloat (was Re: [Twisted-commits] DependentMultiService - chained start/stop of services in a sensible order)

Steve Waterbury golux at comcast.net
Sun Apr 13 21:36:40 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-04-13 at 20:32, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:

> This patch is a band-aid on an already crummy and huge interface
> (twisted.internet.app is nasty; ask anyone who has had to work on its
> internals) which makes it even crummier and huger.

I may be missing something, but this seems like a non-sequitur ...
isn't the putative crumminess and/or hugeness of its interface
independent of the nastiness of its internals?  (Or at least,
shouldn't it be ...?  But maybe that's part of what you're
saying ...)

> My concern is that some ill-thought-out parts of Twisted (twisted.cred,
> twisted.internet.app) will become calcified behind a wide and fragile
> interface that prevents any hope for refactoring.  So far, development
> on these kinds of problem areas has been fairly dynamic, because they
> have been kept small and simple.  However, the inevitable weight of
> history is already slowing down more improvement.  ...

This does not make me feel warm and fuzzy.  ;^)  Okay,
I admit to having had bad thoughts about cred ... how much
work do you see it needing?  (Because I'm fixin' to use it
in the near future ... :^)

Cheers,
- Steve.