[Twisted-Python] What's twistd doing on Windows?

Paul Swartz z3p at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Apr 3 18:40:35 EST 2003

On 3 Apr 2003 at 18:16, Christopher Armstrong
wrote:

> My first guess would be that the system calls involved (e.g., select)
> are more expensive than on linux, but that's just a wild guess. I
> doubt profiling would be much help, but maybe you (or someone) could
> write a simple test that just recorded the time it takes to run an
> immediately-returning select() a few thousand times.

A simple test shows that select() on 100 sockets,
1000 times takes 1.313s (Windows XP, P4, 1.5GHz).
Iterating on just one socket (which I think is
what happens when idling) takes about 3/100 of a
second.  To get an hour of CPU time, this would
take 115 million select()s.  Whether or not that
many select()s actually happen is up to other
people. :)

-p
--
     Paul Swartz