[Twisted-Python] What's twistd doing on Windows?

Alan McIntyre alan at norfolkgraphics.com
Thu Apr 3 17:16:02 EST 2003

Hi all,

First of all I wanted to say thanks to all the Twisted guys that gave
talks at PyCon 2003.  I was going to use Zope for an upcoming project,
but the demos you all gave made me think that Twisted might be a better
fit for what we're doing.  So I had to have a look once I got home. :)

So far it's looking good; getting Twisted installed and a web instance
running was a snap on both Windows and Debian.  I had zero knowledge of
Twisted prior to PyCon, but I was able to start from scratch on Saturday
and put together a simple web interface to some of our existing Python
apps by Sunday afternoon.

I did notice something that I'm curious about: I've been running two
Twisted web instances, one on a Win2k machine (1.4GHz P4, Python 2.2.2)
and one on a Debian machine (266MHz PII, Python 2.1.3) for a few days
now, and the Windows instance has accumulated almost an hour of CPU time
wherease the Debian instance has only used 2 seconds.  What's the Win32
instance doing while it's idle? (It's not a big deal, I'm just curious)

Thanks!
Alan McIntyre