[Twisted-Python] Problems with PB and Jelly...

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Apr 3 06:40:10 EST 2003

On Thursday, April 3, 2003, at 05:35 AM, Jasper Phillips wrote:

> I notice that there is a "newjelly.py" in twisted.spread, which
> appears to
> have changed the code relavent to the error I was getting.  However, I
> couldn't easily tell from the commit email whether this was finished,
> or how
> one would use it...

The way you use it is by replacing the imports at the top of pb.py and
flavors.py to say "import jelly as newjelly" or "from newjelly import
...".  Please do this and see if your problem is solved.  (better yet,
contribute a unit test so we can make sure future changes don't break
this either...)

> Am I correct in guessing newjelly.py is intended to be renamed to
> jelly.py,
> but isn't ready yet?

The real issue is that this is a protocol-breaking change, and we're
not quite prepared to deal with the fallout from that.  Brian Warner
and I hacked on this at PyCon, and he has some ideas for backwards
compatible version negotiation, so we may want to keep the old
implementation around anyway.  When we figure out if and how we're
going to do backwards compatibility, we'll make the changeover.

Also, the idea behind this implementation was to simplify things so
that some new kinds of optimizations are possible -- the implementation
is still really grotty (though it should be functional; I've made the
aforementioned change to my pb.py and flavors.py and the PB unit tests
pass), and I want to make sure that these optimizations *are* actually
made possible, and we haven't just shuffled things around for no reason
Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (Darwin)