[Twisted-Python] feature request for microdom

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Sep 25 22:15:55 EDT 2002

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002 21:28:16 -0400, Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> wrote:
> Not all xml comes from files, or has more than one line.. often with
> over-network or mostly-human-unreadable-anyways xml you'll strip all
> the whitespace, because you can always parse it and "toprettyxml()" it
> if you need later on.

It may be useful, then, to say that the Element either (A) has a file/line #,
(B) came from a network stream at a particular point, or (C) was created
dynamically and has no file/line position yet.

> You only really want line numbers and stuff if it doesn't parse when
> you throw the exception

Eh... Debugging info is always helpful, especially in DOMstuff where you're
post-processing templated nodes and you want to know which are which.

> -bob
>
> On Wednesday, September 25, 2002, at 08:11 PM, Bruce Mitchener wrote:
>
> > Hey DOMmies,
> >
> > Well, since we're using MicroDOM .. we might as well make it kick some
> > more ass. :)

Indeed!  I want it to have really good error reporting, since that's the one
thing that minidom most sorely lacked when I was playing with it.

> > In working with the Woven stuff, one thing that would help a lot in
> > the formatted failure pages is if the __repr__ of the objects wasn't
> > just this:
> >
> >   <twisted.web.microdom.Element instance at 0x83a76dc>

> > but maybe included other information about the element.  The best
> > would be to include the name of the file, the line number, the tag
> > name and any attributes. :)  But that might be asking for too much.

Hmm.  It might be overkill to include all that stuff, but I'll write a __repr__
that does.  If, in practice, it turns out to be an overbearing amount of
information, we'll scale it back.

--
 |    <`'>    |  Glyph Lefkowitz: Traveling Sorcerer   |
 |   < _/ >   |  Lead Developer,  the Twisted project  |