[XML-SIG] Re: [Twisted-Python] Can anyone recommend a sensible XML parser for Python?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon Sep 9 07:12:45 EDT 2002

uche wrote:

> > For the applications that I'm intending to write, just doing my own parser and
> > API is both more appealing and more rewarding.
>
> Really?  Color me deep skeptical.  I have not seen an application on earth
> where implementing one's own parser is a good idea, and precious few where
> implementing one's own API is a good idea.

on the other hand, virtually every commercial XML python user
I know of use their own non-pydom parser/sax-style api/dom-
style api (with 4thought being the obvious exception, of course).

if I couldn't use ElementTree-like apis, I'd probably give up XML
programming...

(using element trees, Glyph's use case would look something like:

    tree = deepcopy.deepcopy(template_tree)
    for node in tree.find(pattern):
        expand(context, node)
    tree.write(stream)