[Twisted-Python] serial datatype in t.e.row

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sat Sep 7 17:27:27 EDT 2002

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002 13:21:40 -0500, "Sean Riley" <sean at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
> One solution may be to manually run a
>
> 	SELECT nextval('sequencename')
>
> to get the next value and use that for the insert, but this requires an
> extra step for each insert, and requires that the we know which tables have
> serial columns (suprisingly hard to figure out..) and makes the behavior for
> tables with serial columns and no serial columns very different.

It seems like it's reasonable for the "save" operation to return a Deferred,
since it's running in a thread anyway.  The behavior may be different, but the
interface would be the same.  Could the difference in behavior from the
interface standpoint be fixed by adding a "serial" hint to the "dbKeyColumns"
attribute?

--
 |    <`'>    |  Glyph Lefkowitz: Traveling Sorcerer   |
 |   < _/ >   |  Lead Developer,  the Twisted project  |