[Twisted-Python] Re: Helps if I could type ... there is no reportlacb.com of course.

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Fri Sep 6 02:23:19 EDT 2002

Hi, Laura, Andy, &c :),

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002 13:09:28 +0100, "Andy Robinson" <andy at reportlab.com> wrote:
> Hello Glyph,
>
> You might be interested to know of our pyRXP
> parser:
>
> http://www.reportlab.com/xml/pyrxp.html

Thanks for the reference.  I think pyRXP looks pretty neat -- using existing
language data structures rather than inventing an API (like DOM) certainly has
its advantages.  Personally I would have preferred something mutable, but I
could see reasons to go either way.

The one thing I don't see PyRXP doing is this:

>     * adhere to a subset of both DOM and SAX APIs for both event-based and
>     synchronous processing of XML data

I shouldn't have phrased this as API adherence but more as a semantic
requirement.  I want to do parsing and routing of XML such as jabber's "XML
streams", as a network protocol and not as a document parser.  Of course I also
want a document parser, for other purposes.  at least passing DOM adherence
means that I can rewrite much less of the existing Twisted/XML code :-)

--
 |    <`'>    |  Glyph Lefkowitz: Traveling Sorcerer   |
 |   < _/ >   |  Lead Developer,  the Twisted project  |