[Twisted-Python] Re: OS X and setup.py

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Tue Oct 15 05:12:23 EDT 2002

Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> writes:

> On Monday, October 14, 2002, at 07:12 AM, Michael Hudson wrote:
>
> > Andrew Bennetts <andrew-twisted at puzzling.org> writes:

> >> My OS X informant also says:
> >> <Screwtape> Better test it on another OS X system, too.
> >> <Screwtape> This one might be a little damaged.
> >> <Screwtape> (i.e. it has a manpage for poll(), but no header file)
> >
> > I think fink installs some kind of poll() emulation library, which can
> > cause confusion.
> >

> That's exactly correct.  OS X has never shipped with poll() or the
> associated manpages.  I believe the one they use is here:
> http://www.clapper.org/software/poll/

And, of course, the aggravating thing is that because it's only an
emulation you don't actually get any of the performance benefits of
using poll(), and in fact probably lose out through overheads.

> I use vim, so I don't need fink :)

I built Emacs from CVS yesterday, so now I can start de-finking my
machine :)

Cheers,
M.

--
  C++ is a siren song.  It *looks* like a HLL in which you ought to
  be able to write an application, but it really isn't.