[Twisted-Python] RE: Problem with build on winxp/VC6

Andrew Bennetts andrew-twisted at puzzling.org
Tue Oct 1 06:58:20 EDT 2002

On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 11:42:46AM +0100, Robert Cowham wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a build problem on the above platform combination:
>
> C:\Download\Twisted-0.99.3alpha2\Twisted-0.99.3alpha2>python setup.py
> build_ext
> running build_ext
> The C reactor is unavailable on this system.
> checking for rpc/pmap_clnt.h ...
> conftest.c
> conftest.c(1) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file:
> 'rpc/pmap_clnt.h':
> No such file or directory

That's telling you don't have Sun-RPC support, which is only used by
twisted.inetd to run rpc services.  Basically, on Windows you won't miss it.
Hell, most Twisted users wouldn't miss it either :)

> skipping 'twisted.spread.cBanana' extension (up-to-date)
> skipping 'twisted.spread.cBanana' extension (up-to-date)

This is probably the most valuable of the C extensions in terms of speed
gain, and it works fine on Windows, as you can see here :)

> The C reactor is unavailable on this system.

This is because the C reactor uses poll (rather than select), which isn't
provided by Windows' sockets API.

You'll be limited to using the pure python reactors instead, which work just
fine, but are marginally slower.

Basically, don't sweat about it :)

-Andrew.