[Twisted-Python] newbie: connecting to a PB service from a web resource

Donovan Preston dp at twistedmatrix.com
Fri Nov 1 10:38:27 EST 2002

It's fairly simple, there's just one important detail you're missing --
in order to get a node factory_* to wait for a deferred, you have to
return it. (Ah, the joys of async programming.) Since you're also
dealing with a series of deferreds, it's even more tricky. Here's what
you do:

In the factory_getStatus method, get the first Deferred by calling
connect. Add a callback to it and make sure you pass the node to the
callback. Return the Deferred. (DOMTemplate will know that in order to
render this node, it will have to wait for the results of the Deferred.)

In the readStatus callback method (whose signature should be modified
to accept the node you passed to the callback above), get the second
deferred, add the setResult callback to it, and pass the node along to
that callback as well. *Return the Deferred*. (DOMTemplate sees that
the results of the first Deferred are a second Deferred. It knows that
in order to render this node, it will have to wait for the results of
the second Deferred.)

Finally, in the setResult callback method (whose signature should be
modified to accept the node), you have the result data you wish to
insert into the node. You also have a reference to the node, since you
passed it along though all the callbacks. Mutate the node (clear it,
then node.appendChild(self.d.createTextNode("%s", result))) and *Return
the node*. (DOMTemplate sees that the results of the second deferred
are a node, and it will be inserted into the DOM (in this case, since
the returned node is the same as the node that was passed in, nothing
happens) and when the DOM is rendered to XML your data will be in it.)

Why is this fairly complicated procedure required? Well, in the
original factory_getStatus, you call self.connect() which immediately
returns a Deferred. You assume that self.result is ready -- this is not
the case. Since the data will not be ready until the callback has
fired, you have to defer doing the actual work until the callback, as
well.

Donovan