[Twisted-Python] Some Win32 comments

Tyler W. Wilson tyler.wilson at acm.org
Sun Mar 17 20:34:05 EST 2002

I was trying to get the Twisted IM client running, and have a few
comments related to config issues on Win32. Here they are:

1 running 'python setup.py install' copies the twisted folder to the
<python>\lib\site-packages folder, which is okay. but if you change to
the Twisted<version> folder and do 'python bin\im', it will be using the
sources from the original location, NOT the site-packages location.

2 similar to the above, if you set PYTHONPATH to point to
Twisted<version> folder, as it says to do in the README, the original
twisted files will be used, not those copied to the site-packages folder.

so, given 1 & 2, do we really need to do the setup.py? It should be
noted in the README(.win32?) that users should either: 1) set PYTHONPATH
to Twisted<version> and NOT run setup.py, and include the full path to
im, mktap, etc, or 2) do NOT set PYTHONPATH, run setup.py, and still
include the fullpath to the bin folder.

i would also suggest that the files in the bin folder have the .py
extension, so that on Windows we can associate them to the python
interpreter, which would simplify things.

3 im (Tk) fails to save config state, if HOME is not set, since the ~
will return exactly, and this is an invalid filename charcter under
Win9x. Either split it to check, or put in an error/warning.

 here is a fix i made to mine, which should work on all platforms:

tkim.py, line 912:
      path = ".imsaved"
      home = os.path.expanduser("~")
      if home != "~":