[Twisted-Python] "3D Game Using Twisted?", or: "Ach du lieber..."

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Wed Mar 13 21:32:25 EST 2002

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 07:52:42PM -0600, Jason Asbahr wrote:
> Hey, Darek!
>
> >	First, a little bit about my game engine, because it's the type of
> >thing you twisted Twisted people might be interested in:
> ><snip>
>
> That looks great!

I'm interested in contributing to something like this.

> >	The big pieces I have left are the enemy A.I. and the networking
> >code.  This is a client-server engine.  The light at the end of the

I have AI experience in a totaly different field (OCR), and do embeded
real-time systems programming in the real world (including some autopilot
programming). I once upon a time did some low-level 3D programming
(rendering algo's), but that was ages ago.

I'm interested in contributing to A.I, update + lag-compensation algo's,
progressive detail algo's, and random environment generation. I also have
some ideas on using RPG style skills and skill advancement in a FPS.

> I'm working on a similar goal -- Persistent worlds hosted in Twisted
> with various 3D clients.  Currently, I'm working with the Nebula Device
> (http://www.radonlabs.de), which is a multi-platform general
> scenegraph-oriented library.

radeonlabs.... If there is demand, I'd also be interested in trying my hand
at tweaking radeon drivers for linux. Although I really like Python
programming, I've actually had heaps more experience with low level
assembler and C.

> I'm working on putting together a demo, but until then, check out the
> papers which describe the approach I'm taking:
> http://www.asbahr.com/papers.html
>
> It would be useful to identify the common features between the various
> game projects so we can collaborate effectively.  Does the fact that you
> are using Quake-style approach mean that you will want to consider the
> world in terms of "levels", versus terrain chunks or "rooms"?

Oh yeah, I'm also very keen on helping facilitate common-code usage.