[Twisted-Python] Aloha, New Member

cpaul at telemetrybox.org cpaul at telemetrybox.org
Sun Mar 3 03:13:40 EST 2002

Great to hear that there will be more documentation in the future -- once I wrap my head around the framework, I will probably contribute to the effort.

As far as what I hope to build with Twisted, I have several things in mind.

One of the projects I am working on is a webmail service with GnuPG functionality.  As a part of this, I built an xml-rpc wrapper for the GnuPGInterface module.  During the process I realized that xml-rpc was the wrong solution to my problem, there were too many hacks in the code for preserving sessions among other things.  Maybe twisted could help me on this part.  Aside from the backengine, I was thinking of working around the other members of the project and building the web/mail frontend from the ground-up in Python (as opposed to using a PHP webmail client...) -- Twisted might come in handy here too.

Another project still in the drafting phase is a Free implementation of the Craigslist.org bulletin board system.  This would involve creating an application: To serve CGI and process form inputs.  Create static HTML pages for every post.  Compile indexes of the posts at regular intervals.  And, with a mail server, forward the postXXX@ email to the proper recipients.  I was planning on using straight python, mysql and postfix -- again, Twisted might come in handy.

The final project is for $$$, and as of yet I am still hazy on the details.  Basically, I want to create a systems administration interface which would be capable of manipulating many machines at once.  I don't know if Twisted will come in handy.

Thanks for the welcome to the list, and I will keep you all posted with my progress (*cough*problems*cough*).

Take care,
Charles