[Twisted-Python] Large file transfers

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Fri Jul 26 19:27:08 EDT 2002

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 17:49:04 -0400, Steve Waterbury <steve.waterbury at gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote:
> This also hints at why Twisted is such a natural fit for our app:  a
> multi-player networked game environment is not all that different
> from a massive collaborative engineering environment ... at the
> infrastructure level, essentially identical.

I've heard this comment several times and I don't think I've said much about it
before.  Allow me to wax philosophical for a moment.

One of my favorite things about Twisted is that, due to its origins, it
challenges people to think about what they're doing and whether "work" is
really any harder or more serious than "play".  It turns out that building
massively multiplayer games - "serious fun" - may be a great deal *more*
difficult than the average "software engineering" project.

If someone is reading this and hasn't been thusly challenged by Twisted or by
something else, maybe they should be ;-).  "The Hacker Ethic" is a great book
on this.

The Twisted framework shows its Python heritage this way, too: Python is a
language designed to teach, and markedly *unlike* Pascal, it is not a stuffy,
academic pedant.  Instead, Python applies its own lessons by making the
practical work of programming easier.  It illuminates the fact that programming
*is* learning: as Perlis said, "If we knew what we were doing, we would not
call it programming."

--
 |    <`'>    |  Glyph Lefkowitz: Traveling Sorcerer   |
 |   < _/ >   |  Lead Developer,  the Twisted project  |