[Twisted-Python] cBanana diffs

Bruce Mitchener bruce at cubik.org
Mon Jul 8 05:52:31 EDT 2002

Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:
> Bruce Mitchener wrote:
>
>> I've made a couple of local changes to cBanana to look at improving
>> the performance of it some.
>
> Great! Got any numbers showing the speed difference?

Nothing reliable.  I was just testing with doc/examples/pbbenchserver.py
and pbbenchclient.py and looking at how many calls/second were being made.

This week, I'm planning on putting together a quick Banana bench and
then I'll be able to test it directly and with more predictable loads to
exercise the parts that I'm changing. :)

That'll let me get reliable and useful numbers and do some targeted
profiling as well I hope.

Those fixes were just things that I'd noticed when reading through the
source.

>> One thing that was taking a while in simple runs was the handling of
>> LONGINT and LONGNEG values (which call back into Python rather than
>> using C code).  I've not yet optimized that at all as I don't yet have
>> a good enough understanding.
>
> Well, in general it's probably a good idea to avoid using long ints,
> since they will be slow no matter what and support in other languages
> may be iffy.

Yep.  I was originally unaware of what they were in Python. :)  Still
learning...

  - Bruce