[Twisted-Python] twisted.web problem on FreeBSD 4.7

douglas savitsky dsavitsk at mail.e-coli.net
Fri Dec 27 23:23:08 EST 2002

From: Moshe Zadka <m at moshez.org>
Date: 27 Dec 2002 09:40:12 -0000

>On Thu, 26 Dec 2002, "douglas savitsky" <dsavitsk at mail.e-coli.net> wrote:
>
>> #mktap web --path /usr/www --port 80
>
>NEVER RUN MKTAP AS ROOT.
>I mean it. twistd will run the server as the user who ran mktap, by default.
>Thus, you want to run mktap as www-data or give appropriate --uid/--gid
>flags.

FreeBSD will only allow root to bind ports lower than 1024.   further

mktap --port=80 --path=/usr/www --uid=65534 --gid=65534

says that --uid is not recognised.  last

man mktap

says there is no manpage so I am not sure where to look for this.

so. if I can't run as root, how do I run

(
65534 was obtained from
>>> pwd.getpwnam ('nobody')[2:4]
)