[Twisted-Python] Proposed Website Comp

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sat Aug 24 23:23:30 EDT 2002

Hi Mark,

On Sat, 24 Aug 2002 22:40:13 -0400, "Mark A. Richman" <mark at markrichman.com> wrote:
> I never claimed to be a graphic artist - I'm a developer, not a
> designer. But I don't have time to contribute code, so I contributed an
> idea.

I started off with a few qualifications because I wanted to make it clear that
while I had issues with the way the initial foray looked, I didn't think that
the idea of redoing the website was a bad one, and certainly your idea was not
an aesthetic disaster.  I think it needs some cleanup and tweaking, and I'd
like to see alternate ideas, but I would really like to see you keep throwing a
few spare minutes at it.  Nonetheless, the last time I redesigned the website,
there were *still* some Twisted developers who consider the current layout to
be "too cluttered" :-).

> When I have time, I'll consult with my usability and human factors
> colleagues to see if they have any commentary.

That would be very cool :).  Actual domain knowledge is certainly better than
my opinions.  (Keep in mind that only half of my concerns are about human
factors: the other half are about automated agents.  Very few people seem to be
thinking seriously about how those work with web designs these days.)

> I'm curious to know of any popular sites that conform to Glyph's "wish
> list" of acceptable web standards.

Almost zero.  Of course, most of the web (especially the "popular web") is pure
tripe, so I don't think this says anything in particular.  Google does,
CritLink does, dmoz does, and Citeseer does.  Those are all sites I use
joyfully.  Travelocity doesn't, and I grit my teeth every time I have to wade
through it.  Web comics are particularly bad, and more than a few times I've
written a grabber script so I didn't have to wait for the extra 300k of HTML to
download with each 2k image.

If "most popular websites" look a certain way, then it seems that looking that
way would imply that we aspire only to mediocrity.

--
 |    <`'>    |  Glyph Lefkowitz: Travelling Sorcerer  |
 |   < _/ >   |  Lead Developer,  the Twisted project  |