[Twisted-Python] PB over unix socket ... how?

Itamar Shtull-Trauring twisted at itamarst.org
Sun Aug 11 12:55:06 EDT 2002

Jp Calderone wrote:

>>I know from wandering around in the internet module that there's lots
>>of support for unix sockets and even an IReactorUNIX, but it's late and
>>I'm a little dizzy and I figured someone could probably point me in the
>>right direction with about 5 lines anyway ... if there's an example, I
>>musta missed it ... 8^P

> Just take the pb examples and change the "listenTCP" call and change the
> port argument to a string.  The string will be the name of unix socket in
> the filesystem.  Change your connectTCP calls similarly and you should be in
> business.

Uh, no.

This only worked because of a bad design decision in tcp.py - it will not
work in CVS or in any future release. The real solution then is to fix the
pb connection APIs so they use pluggable transports. Glyph tends to do this
using URLs, e.g. "pb-tcp://localhost:7777/bar" or "pb-unix://tmp/.socket" or
"pb-tls://localhost:8888/baz".

There should hopefully be some solution in CVS soon, given that we need this
functionality to run twistedmatrix.com.