[Twisted-Python] wxWindows vs Gtk

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Tue Apr 23 20:08:26 EDT 2002

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 12:39:38PM -0500, Jason Asbahr wrote:

> I've used wxPython on Windows and I like it -- it produces a GUI that
> looks and feels like users expect it should.  It was easy to work with
> and had all the features I needed for that project.  I haven't tried it
> on other platforms -- curious to hear reports from anyone who has.  The
> fact that it runs on Mac OS X (as the wxDesigner screenshots attest :-)
> is a big plus.

I've been down the GUI+Python research path a while ago. There is quite a
bit of info on wxWindows and Python, but perhaps most significant is that
pretty much the only reason why wxWindows has not replaced Tk as the
standard Python GUI is platform support, in particular Mac. Last time I
looked, wxWindows+Mac was getting there, but not yet.

I believe even Guido did a test project using both wxWindows and Tk, and
came to the conclusion wxWindows was easyer to develop with, faster, looked
nicer, etc.

GTK+Glade is a nice combo for working on linux, but portability issues on
Windoze and Mac pretty much count it out for me.

Tk is still a contender just because of it's age.

wxWindows+Boa Constructor would be my tool of choice for a new GUI project.
Boa is still pretty beta, but amazingly functional considering how quick it
was developed.

Things like Qt I didn't really look at, probably because I'm still license
shy for no logical reason.