[Twisted-Python] How to setup a ftpserver, ftpclient?

Andrew Bennetts andrew-twisted at puzzling.org
Mon Apr 8 21:22:47 EDT 2002

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 09:53:55AM +1000, Donovan Baarda wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 12:10:23PM +0200, Joan Torres wrote:
> > Hi,
> >  I'm trying to setup a FTPserver, FTPClient for sending a File Transfer.
> >  I found a FTPClient.py example in ./doc/examples. I've modified the example
> >  and add "ftpClent.retrieveFile('file_name', fileProtocol). What I really
> >  don't know is how to setup the fileProtocol and also the FTPserver part.
>
> last time I looked the ftp server support in twisted was very primative.
> Certainly the medusa ftp server was more complete, but also needs some tweaks.
>
> I'm also interested in ftp server stuff. If anyone wants to collaborate on
> something...

I've already agreed with Glyph that I should at some point refactor the
FTP server to use Resources like the web server does (can? -- I'm not
familiar with the structure of it yet), essentially meaning that FTP
servers would be identical to web servers, except that they use FTP not
HTTP -- the same dynamic content and what-not could be served over them,
and perhaps they could also share authentication info?

More pressingly, the FTP server and client need to be refactored to
reuse some code.  They are currently two completely seperate code bases
with zero reuse :(

If other people are interested in helping with this, then all the better! :)

-Andrew.