[Twisted-Python] What rough protocol, its hour come at last, slouches towards Austin to be born?

Daniel Mahler mahler at cyc.com
Mon Apr 8 19:54:10 EDT 2002

I believe common meaning of "tuple" extends beyond computing
and means something like element of the cartesian product.
The dictionary definition below seems to come from a computing
dictionary and assumes a strongly typed language.
The online Merriam-Webster just says:
One entry found for -tuple.
Main Entry: -tu·ple
Pronunciation: "t&-p&l, "tü-
Function: noun combining form
Etymology: quintuple, sextuple
: set of (so many) elements -- usually used of sets with ordered
elements <the ordered 2-tuple (a, b)>
Which seems compatible with Python usage.
I think the Python usage is consistent with
programming/math uses I am familiar with.
It is even consistent with the dictionary definition
given below;
it is the definition 'list' that is incompatible,
since there is no same type restriction
on python list elements.
However, all untyped/dynamically typed languages
have list types without it.
However, in most languages lists are linked structures:
python lists correspond to vectors/arrays in other languages.