[Twisted-Python] Yet another coil refactor

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Apr 8 18:08:18 EDT 2002

On Sun, 2002-04-07 at 12:27, Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:
> As I said in my previous email - coil will now use components.

Looks cool.

Twisted is still in a development state right now, and __implements__
leaves no way for Twisted to warn you that between 0.17.0 and 0.19.2
some very important things changed and your code no longer fully
conforms to the interfaces that you thought it did.  Inheritance does,
but itamar and others have convinced me that there are problems with
using inheritance to specify interface implementation.

So I propose a compromise: I think that classes which implement
interfaces should be required to inherit from an Implementor class, in
order to facilitate evolution of interfaces.  This Implementor class
could even be a metaclass, ensuring at least trivial implementation
constraints at import-time, possibly spotting bugs early on.

Any comments?

--
 |    <`'>    |  Glyph Lefkowitz: Travelling Sorcerer  |
 |   < _/ >   |  Lead Developer,  the Twisted project  |