[Twisted-Python] We now have a coil command-line app in CVS

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Apr 1 03:01:51 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-03-29 at 04:24, Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:
> Now you can configure your TAP files through the web!

Nifty, but not quite in line with the vision I have for the way Twisted
ought to work.  It raises an interesting problem though because I can't
figure out how I'd implement such functionality, and I think it's useful
functionality to have :-).

The goal of the .tap/twistd system is to separate the configuration of
the application objects from the way they are run.  The goal of this
separation is to run the same TAP file with multiple "loader" programs,
(theoretically) one for each platform/mainloop.  A development server
might run in a GTK mainloop that instruments various things, to allow
you to view what ports are open, and to where.  The Win32 loader would
allow you to load the same config through an NT Service GUI, or a system
tray icon, depending on whether you purchased the "Duplo" or "Lego"
version of the win32 API.

I can't think of a general solution to the "run a tool which requires
starting up a Twisted service, but also requires arguments" problem, but
it might be useful for each loader to have a "run a coil on this
Application object" option.  (Keep in mind also that it would be neat to
have certain loaders be able to run multiple concurrent application
objects)

--
 |    <`'>    |  Glyph Lefkowitz: Travelling Sorcerer  |
 |   < _/ >   |  Lead Developer,  the Twisted project  |