[Twisted-Python] Re: splitting up Twisted [was: pretzel]

Chris Armstrong carmstro at twistedmatrix.com
Sun Oct 7 14:11:53 EDT 2001

On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 12:47:56AM -0500, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:

> On Sunday, October 7, 2001, at 12:18  AM, Kevin Turner wrote:
>
> >IMHO, it's not a good idea to check in new embrionic modules to the MAIN
> >trunk in any case...  but starting a branch for it might make sense.
> >...and one of these days, you may want to decide that you don't want
> >every Twisted Application in the main Twisted distribution either,
> >particularly if they don't necessarily run on the same development
> >cycles.  i.e. you might not want to wait for a new Twisted release to
> >publish a new pretzel plug-in...

I'll admit that I did check it in too early -- I have to get used to the
fact that Twisted is Real Software now, not just a repository for our cool
python code. :-)

> Well put.  I also feel that this is a problem for Twisted as a whole,
> but haven't thought of a good solution yet.  If you have more thoughts
> on how we can start to split out functionality (at least for release
> development cycles if not for downloads), I'd like to hear them...

I've discussed this with Moshe before, and I'm for it, but he's got some
reasons why splitting up Twisted is not such a good thing. I still do
believe that the Application-level stuff ought to be separated from the
library-level stuff.

Twisted:
  internet
  spread
  python
  persisted
  protocols
  tap (new applications will put their tap-generation utilities here)
  test
  enterprise (not sure..)

Then we have separate packages for Twisted Web, Words, Manhole, etc etc etc.

So let's define what the technical problems with splitting up Twisted are.
I, being the naive person that I am, don't know what they are. :-)

Oh, well I remember one issue from the discussion Moshe and I had:
versioning. IMO the application-level packages should actually line up in
version with the main Twisted package. Moshe said that it would be a problem
when people started matching up older versions of applications with newer
versions of Twisted, but I think we should just say "We _only_ support
applications with the same version number as the Twisted install you are
running". And if a package wants to still be on it's own release schedule,
we have TwistedWeb-0.11.0-1,2,3 etc. well, I'm not sure if this will
conflict with Debian versioning. Maybe we need to use some character other
than "-" to separate the version numbers. Maybe TwistedWeb-1.0Twisted0.11.0
or something. whatever. =)

Chris Armstrong  |  carmstro at twistedmatrix.com  |  cjast3 at robert-morris.edu
Web Page: http://purl.org/net/ChrisArmstrong