[Twisted-Python] cursors

Chris Armstrong carmstro at twistedmatrix.com
Sat Nov 24 14:56:10 EST 2001

On Sat, 2001-11-24 at 08:10, Tommi Virtanen wrote:
> Kevin Turner <acapnotic at twistedmatrix.com> writes:
>
> > Someone, either Glyph or Tommi, mentioned that they wanted cursors a
> > while back.  "What's that," I asked; then thought "hm.  I could do
> > that."  But I didn't.  Only, now I did.  I think.
>
> 	The idea was to replace the web.widget Deferreds bookkeeping
> 	with such a construct. Currently, all widgets to be output
> 	know their position in the list, and when a Deferred returns
> 	[deferred2, "foo", deferred3], and later deferred2 return
> 	["bar", "baz"], deferred3's index is wrong.
>
> 	If instead of indexes, the Deferreds had cursors, that
>         changed as the list modified, they'd survive.
>
>         Of course, an even bigger rewrite of web.widgets and
>         Deferred processing may be wanted.
>
> 	Sadly, I have no time to hack on that..

That's what I'm working on right now (see my last 3 rants on the list).
I could use a bit of advice, I think, though. Maybe I'll catch you on
IRC soon.

So far I've refactored all normal non-deferred stuff, and I'm taking a
fresh look at implementing Deferreds in widgets. Right now I'm *trying*
to figure out a clever way to allow deferreds to not need to worry about
position -- but I'm just now starting to figure something out. I'll talk
to you some time.

--
<spiv> NeuroMorphus: That's not really meaningful, though.
<NeuroMorphus> spiv: it's not a matter of meaning, it's an assignment