[Twisted-Python] Re: [Twisted-commits] CVS: Twisted/twisted/protocols irc.py,1.24,1.25

Chris Armstrong carmstro at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Nov 22 23:10:23 EST 2001

On Thu, 2001-11-22 at 22:33, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 11:48:54PM -0600, Kevin Turner wrote:
> > protocols/irc.py: An exception in the server isn't a reason to drop the
> > client, right?
>
> IMHO, it is.  If the protocol isn't specifically designed to deal with
> exceptions (For example, dynamic web content or PB protocol exceptions) then
> it's undefined behavior and the connection should be dropped.  Bot behavior
> should be implemented in a layer above the IRC protocol, if there is a place
> for a catch-all exception handler.
>
> I won't revert this change because I'm not living in that part of the code
> right now, but Kevin, I suggest you consider it.

You know that it wasn't the bot that was getting disconnected, but other
users in the channel? I'm not sure of the technical details behind this,
but it does seem odd that other people should get disconnected for stuff
that the bot is doing.

--
<bitPoet> all of twisted is probably like 3 lines of apl