[Twisted-Python] Another brown paper bug release.

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Tue May 8 19:52:41 EDT 2001

I just put out 0.8.7, a bugfix release for .6, which was leaking resources
until the webserver crashed, for a second time (while the release was on
freshmeat's front page :-\).

There are still a number of known problems, which continue to baffle me:

twisted.protocols.http is buggy, especially _parse_command.  I don't know
why, yet: it *looks* right...  There regular tracebacks in
/var/www/twistd.log, and I'm pretty sure it's not because of a proliferation
of buggy HTTP clients.  These didn't appear before.

POST doesn't work if you're in germany.  Nobody can see this problem except
for Jürgen, and then only to twistedmatrix.com; however, I think that it's a
real bug.  I am vaguely suspicious that this has something to do with
protocols.basic.LineReceiver prematurely closing the process's connection,
but I have absolutely *no* idea why.  CGIs work flawlessly for me, both GET
and POST, and I've constructed some pretty pathological tests.

This whole incident indicates the need for a better testing procedure; now
that people actually rely on twistedmatrix.com to do stuff, I think that the
release process should take a few days in order to ensure that *all* aspects
of the code are tested.  Proposals for something more formal will be gladly
accepted :)

--