[Twisted-Python] Twisted.pim

Kevin Turner acapnotic at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Jul 5 23:19:02 EDT 2001

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 02:21:42PM -0400, Chris Armstrong wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 10:43:42AM -0700, Kevin Turner wrote:
> > Please look at Evolution too.  I'm sure you can find something to
> > not like about it, but there's been a lot of sweat put into it, so
> > you should at least be able to learn something from their efforts.
> The biggest problem with Evolution (or anything) is that it's not
> Twisted enough.

Oh, as I said, I have no doubt that there are problems, from biggest to
littlest.  I was merely suggesting the possibility that they might have
got something *right* too -- and if so, that's good information to have
when you're setting out to achieve something with many of the same
goals.  I don't think it hurts to know what the wheel looks like before
you reinvent it.

> > Now, forget I said that phase, because it doesn't mean much. ;) I
> > just raise a few more questions:  What if the resource you are
> > working on is not an emacs buffer, but an Excel spreadsheet?  Can
> > you incorporate resources into this system that you, the Twisted.pim
> > designer, did not anticipate the existance of?

> If you want to make a new type of information, make a new subclass
> of the base InfoData class. [...] The "integration" he's talking
> of isn't at the UI level, it's at the base. In other words, our
> integration isn't the same integration that Desktop Environments
> are going after -- Look&Feel integration.  We're going for data
> that will be integrated.

This is why I told you to forget I said the "d. e." phrase =)
I think you underestimate miguel's ambition -- Twisted folks aren't the
only ones trying to take over the world. ;)   Having a cohesive
environment does not just mean that the dialog boxes all look similar
and the context-sensitive pop-ups feel the same, you also need to be
able to incorporate the product of one application into another -- e.g.
your plotter into your spreadsheet, your spreadsheet into your marketing
document, your documents into your conferences and presentations.  You
have not convinced me that this is different from your "data

[ http://www.ximian.com/tech/bonobo.php3           ]
[ The "why corba sucks" flamewar may now commence. ]
[ Feel free to understand a "How little Acap understands things" flame
too ;) ]

> > Now, we all know that since PB is being published under the Twisted
> > label, it's got to be the greatest thing since spreadable cheese.  But
> > even so, but I'd sleep better at night if I read a memo comparing its
> > suitability for "Integration." to [...] corba [etc...].

(The following is me paraphrasing radix, not quite his original words:)
} PB has nothing to do with integration between the PIM components.
} That will be done by our /imaginary/ [emphasis mine ;) ] 'associator'
} module.  PB will just serve as the portocol for [remote] access to the
} information.

See issue my #2 in my other post from today,
<20010705201609.A3233 at troglodyte.menefee>

  - Acapnotic
 (Kevin Turner)