[Twisted-Python] python's "import" is giving me a headache.

Chris Armstrong carmstro at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Dec 5 00:52:10 EST 2001

On Wed, 2001-12-05 at 00:21, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
[snip...]
> I am considering a change to the coding standard (and the attendant
> massive refactoring) to a standard where modules "promote" public
> classes and functions to the module level.  For example, in
> twisted/words/service.py:

[snip...]
> Pros:
>
> * fewer names to worry about clashing with
> * nested modules less inconvenient
> * only public portions of interface present at package level

A few things I don't think glyph stressed well enough:
  * gets rid of having to deal with modules which have the same name,
    but in different packages ("service", anyone?)
  * twisted.reality.reality.Reality. 'nuff said. :)

While I'm not *certain* that this is the best way to go (although it
seems like it might work out, and I haven't thought of any big
disadvantages), I do full-heartedly agree that _something_ needs to be
done. I've done a couple of refactorings in my day, and I've fixed
countless local-variable/module-name conflicts.</war_story>

--
<radix> skreech: hey guess what!
<skreech> what
<radix> skreech: exciting night tonight
<skreech> radix: women?
<radix> skreech: twisted release! =D
<skreech> radix: YES!!!!!!!!!!
<radix> hee hee
<radix> I know you live for these moments, skreech
<skreech> VROOOM
<skreech> Lemme get my Twisted-Release-socks
<skreech> and noisemakers
(Yes, I am hopefully going to release Twisted 0.12.3 tonight)
--
                              Chris Armstrong
                      <<< radix at twistedmatrix.com >>>