[Twisted-Python] Working with Reality

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Aug 9 12:27:14 EDT 2001

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Chris Hadgis wrote:

> I loaded Twisted-0.9.5 on my Win98 machine yesterday.

Yay!

> The instructions in the readme files for the inheritance and trdemo worlds
> were very good. I built both worlds and was able to run them successfully -
> up to a point.

Do not despair!  There's only one minor error.

> The problem came with running faucet.

Here's the answer to your problem: you're probably logging in to the
'reality' service.  Unfortunately login error reporting is not the various
PB clients' strong point (bug noted...).  Change the "reality" field on
your login dialog to be 'twisted.reality' and it should work.

> I *think* faucet is where the player would be able to enter commands
> for the game.

Indeed it is.

> I saw some of the other comments on the list earlier re: Windows and
> its lack of a fork() call, and I suspect this is the problem. If
> Twisted is to become portable across platforms, then this problem will
> need to be addressed at some stage.

This deficiency of Windows only affects CGI in Twisted.Web.  Given that
the audience for Twisted on Windows is small, and the audience for Twisted
+ CGI is even smaller, I think that this problem will remain unaddressed
until someone who cares about both of these things devotes some time to
fixing it.  So far, Jürgen Hermann is the only person I can think of who
exists in that intersection :-).

> I really would like to help with the reality part of the Twisted
> project, but unless I get access to a Unix OS or Twisted works 100%
> under Windows, I don't know how much I can do :( I am still keen to
> hear what visions the original reality developers had (or have) for
> the future.

Let me know if this solution fixes your problem.

                     @ t w i s t e d m a t r i x  . c o m
                     http://twistedmatrix.com/users/glyph