[Twisted-Python] I was looking for offhanded ways to improve us.

Chris Armstrong carmstro at dynup.net
Sun Apr 29 13:53:37 EDT 2001

On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 11:17:45AM -0500, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
> > 1) I think 0.9.0 should be feature-complete with 1.0, and 0.9.* only be bug
> > fixes, and all your current 0.9.* releases be 0.8.* releases.
>
> The gimp-style versioning is intentional.  I think that 0.99.* indicates
> "slogging towards 1.0!!" whereas 0.9 seems like a decent release in its own
> right.  I'll vote (i.e. use my divine mandate to dictate) that we keep it
> that way :)

Sorry about that, I didn't notice 0.99.* before sending the last mail, and
dash straightened me out yesterday. :)

> > 2) package-izing of web. I think this needs to be done (we have webconfig
> > and webutils in twisted, and these should be web.config and web.utils).
> > I've been bitching about this for a very long time. I think it should be
> > done before 1.0. It makes sense to do it now, while the protocol handling
> > part of web is being factored out into protocols.http.
>
> The trouble is that webutils and webconfig are not logically "owned" by web.
> webutils could grow into a separate distribution; webconfig might just as
> logically be config.web.  I don't see a compelling reason for organizing them
> in a package yet.  (Something like twisted.reality may bear packagizing,
> since twisted.library *is* logically "owned" by reality).
>
> Also, anything called "util" is basically crying out for refactoring.
> Perhaps web and reality should both be packages and both have a "library"
> subpackage?  I dunno.  Suggestions are welcome.

Yeah, web.library sounds good. webutils is basically the same as library,
only all classes are in the same file. And where to put webconfig is a toughy,
since it's related to both config and web. Which is more important? The way
it's implemented, or what it does? I think config.web seems more logical.
Then there could also be config.reality, config.gloop, etc. (when we get
around to it).

Chris Armstrong                        carmstro at twistedmatrix.com
http://twistedmatrix.com/~carmstro     carmstro at dynup.net