[Reality] Re: Current Task: OBJECT PROXIES.

Mike Pelletier mike at mkp.ca
Thu May 4 09:21:03 CDT 2006

On Thursday 04 May 2006 10:09, Christopher Armstrong wrote:
> We did it.  Rooms can now be dark (a LocationLighting powerup on a
> room, with candelas set to 0), and they'll make everything inside of
> them invisible[1]. It does this by powering up the room for
> ILocationProxy, which will get a chance to proxy all of its contents
> found during a findProviders traversal (as opposed to an IProxy, which
> gets a chance to proxy all objects found *through* it, like the
> objects on the other side of a red glass window).
>
> Then we implemented a torch. The torch is a Thing with a LightSource
> powerup; the LightSource powers up its thing for ILightSource, and
> provides a candelas attribute. The LightingLocation proxy searches for
> (calls findProviders with) ILightSource, accumulates all the light
> sources, and adds it to the ambient light of the room, to decide
> whether it is bright enough to see anything.

Does an ILocationProxy get to know who's asking?  Seems as though properties
of the actor would be important to deciding whether it's bright enough/too
bright.

It sounds like (ha ha) this could be extended to support aural events, and
perhaps even smision.  I reckon an ILocationProxy could, hypothetically with
more work, ask its neighbours about noisy things (or in the case of smision,
swaggy thing) and attenuate the decibel level?

Is there a place we can follow progress?  None of this seems to be in the SVN
repository, or I'm just too stupid to use it properly.  Don't see changes
more recent than "3 weeks".

Mike.