[Reality] Greetings and a few questions

Jp Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Mon Apr 18 00:22:51 MDT 2005

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 16:11:58 -0400, cybrgreg at cinci.rr.com wrote:
>Hello, I am new to the list and to Imagination, but I am interested in
>Imagination.
>I have written a couple of MUD servers from scratch in Python and came
>across this, thinking it might be a nice starting point for a new
>server.
>
>I fiddled with it for about two days and could not figure out how to
>get it working.
>I kept getting errors trying to run the various files, so I would try
>to find the modules that were missing or make minor code changes to see
>if i could get it running, but no dice.
>
>Is there any documentation for the project? I found only minimal
>explanations of the theory of the library, not "how to run it."

  Not so much.  The project is still in a state where getting a server to actually run is less important that other things (like having an actually working simulation core ;)  Alas, there is also not much time being spent on Imagination these days, due to requirements of other projects.

  In any case, to start up a server, you want to do something like this:

    exarkun at boson:~/Projects/svn/Imagination/trunk/sandbox$ PYTHONPATH=~/Projects/svn/Twisted/trunk/:~/Projects/svn/Nevow/trunk/:~/Projects/svn/Imagination/trunk/  twistd -noy imagination.tac

  Make sure you actually have trunk at HEAD of Twisted and Nevow.

  Hopefully you'll be rewarded with a bunch of crud ending in some lines that talk about "Starting factory ..."  By default, you get a telnet server on port 4009, an ssh server on 4022, a web server on 4242, and a manhole server on 4010.

>I'd be interested to live chat with someone who is familiar with
>Imagination, if someone wants to.
>my AIM is ferggo, or MSN is ferggo at hotmail.com (if anyone actually uses
>MSN)
>
>Thanks, I'd love to see this project develop and would be happy to
>contribute, but I can't seem to figure out how to see it running.

  We hang out on IRC a bunch, irc.freenode.net, in #imagination.  The channel is quite frequently completely dead, but there are usually at least a few people idling there.  Be glad to chat with you some time.  I'm Jpswoogle on AIM, but I'm hardly ever actually on.

  Jp