[Reality] Containment - barriers to implementation

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sun Apr 4 12:56:10 MDT 2004

On Apr 4, 2004, at 1:33 AM, <exarkun at divmod.com> wrote:

>     We want to start a containment implementation.  Some things it
> should support include simple room/exit structures, cardboard boxes,
> lead boxes, glass boxes, and brass cockroaches.  It should also
> support an observation [sub]system of some sort, including both vision
> in the normal spectrum and in the x-ray spectrum ("See through lots of
> stuff, but not lead").

Containment (and carrying) should also take into account some simple
statistics related to weight and size.  In Divunal mk 1, we also had
"weildiness", which was an abstract number indicating how comfortable a
given thing is to carry barehanded.  I suppose it represented how
complex and/or oblong a thing was.

This might also involve some form of timed event.  For example, you can
pick up a certain amount of weight for 10 minutes, but then it gets too
heavy and you need to put stuff down.  Or, a particular pile of junk is
stable for a given number of minutes and then collapses.

This also implies some base stats such as strength on the
ITakeActor/IDropActor/IPushActor/etc implementor, which will hopefully
all be the same object...