[Reality] getting started?

Christopher Armstrong reality@twistedmatrix.com
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 05:26:39 -0400

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 11:45:21PM -0700, Eric Wong wrote:
> Now the thing that sort of bothers me is the way interfaces and
> adapters are combined in single modules.  Would it be cleaner and
> clearer if interfaces were all defined somewhere
> (reality/interfaces/* ?) and the adapters somewhere else?

This is a convention that has been applied of and on in the Twisted
code-base (twisted.internet.interfaces, for example). I'm still not
sure what the best way to do it is.

> Should I send in patches?  For example, I subclassed wiring.TextServer
> to deal with multiple player logins (to the prosaically named
> 'MultiPlayerTextServer').  Or is this the sort of system-specific change
> that doesn't need to be distributed?

Well, for one, this is an extremely generic piece of functionality
(for our target audience -- reality is all about being multiplayer :)
which definitely should be included anyway. For two, Reality will
probably have a good bit of system-specific stuff -- it *will* be just
a "virtual world *engine*", but we learned from Python that a strong
standard library is an *excellent* thing to have.

Anyway, how does your MultiPlayerTextServer do its authentication?
Does it use the (new) APIs in twisted.cred?

---------+     http://twistedmatrix.com/users/radix.twistd/