[Reality] Re: other TR tasklist items

Christopher Armstrong reality@twistedmatrix.com
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 12:40:59 -0400

    Glyph> From: Allen Short <washort@twistedmatrix.com> Subject: other TR
    Glyph> tasklist items Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 04:04:57 -0500 (CDT)

    >> i keep hearing you say you wish you'd never used the 'intelligence'
    >> system used by Thing for user interface. what should be done instead?

    Glyph> Wow... where to begin.  There should be parallel simulation on the
    Glyph> client.  There are too many notifications that the user *might* want
    Glyph> to be aware of but might want to ignore; lots of things that are
    Glyph> quiet, subtle updates that they could see if their visual focus were
    Glyph> on one area of the screen and not another.  This indicates that the
    Glyph> client should be receiving more information than the user can
    Glyph> physically see at once in some cases (this is *especially* true of
    Glyph> things that, e.g. interrupt you while you're reading a book.  The
    Glyph> hacks we went through to make you "look up" when that happened... oy
    Glyph> vey...)

I was just talking to exarkun about this yesterday. For the auto-mapper that
I plan on eventually writing, client-side simulation would be required (or
at least very advantageous :)).

    >> also, do we want to rename all the *Hears methods?

    Glyph> Yes.  Better yet, re-implement them using real events and let's
    Glyph> actually make sensory channels and notification types and all that
    Glyph> good stuff.  Given the game-system-not-unique-object focus of the
    Glyph> New Reality, let's also construct event types rather than having
    Glyph> ad-hoc flavor text inline with the code.

Sensory channels? That reminds me of allexpro's mud: he's got these cheesy
(but kinda neato) prefixes to most of his messages:

> look sugar
[EYES] You see some sugar.
> taste sugar
[MOUTH] The sugar is sweet.