[Reality] Exits

David Sturgis reality@twistedmatrix.com
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 13:00:39 -0500

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 12:28:29 -0400 (EDT)
Jp Calderone <exarkun@meson.dyndns.org> wrote:

>   Other things that come to mind - temporary or permanant enclosures, such
> as a tent Thing that could be carried around and then unpacked, set up,
> and entered; ground vehicles; or "scenery" such as an oil drum.

     One idea that had been the source of much consternation in the original Java Reality was the idea of a room/container/location type thing that wasn't immediately obvious... If something was sitting in the bottom of an oil drum, it probably shouldn't be immediately obvious to people in the room (unless they implicity examine/look at/climb into the drum).

     Did we ever find a decent way to handle this in python Reality? A lot of the objects being described here (tents, etc.) are the sort of things that you'd probably have to look into (or at least focus on more directly) to see inside of.

     And it's really cool to hear people talking about Reality stuff again.  ;-)

     The spaceship and docking system is interesting... I had a similar idea for ships (i.e. the floating on water kind) and docks, but I had never figured out a good way for handling perspective from the boat at sea... You'd have to do some weird things to the descriptions of all the rooms on the deck, sort of the interactive text equivalent of a skybox in a 3D engine, to reflect the weather and other nearby objects (other boats, disgruntled albino whales, islands, etc.). With spacecraft, you usually have a more appliance-like screen/monitor/periscope device that you implicity look into to see what's going on outside.

--
David Sturgis
dave@dcit.com