[Reality] Re: Item List (!)

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph@twistedmatrix.com
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 20:36:10 -0500 (EST)

It looks good.  I like it.  Things I'd consider bugs though:

	* the tree-widget things default to closed.  They should really
	  default to open.

	* the opacity that you mention looks really bad :-)  It may not be
	  possible with the default treeUI to get something that looks
	  acceptible though...

	* upon entering and leaving, what should be happening is the "+++"
	  and "---" text should be replacing the item's description,
	  rather than appearing separately.  Now that we're doing this
	  PROPERLY, with a JTree, they should probably also be a different
	  color than the standard text.  I'm not sure which one from the
	  theme would be appropriate, but go for something 'lighter' than
	  the normal text...

Things I'd like to see it do:

	* it would be really nice if double-clicking on an item inserted
	  its name at the insertion point in the command entry field. It's
	  not too important, but if it DOESN'T do this, it shouldn't be
	  possible to select the cell.

Thanks for pounding this out though ... it's really good that it does this
correctly finally =) (since this was the whole point of the last protocol
revision...)

In other, less exciting news, I've checked in a console nozzle
implementation (SystemNozzle), for those days when 'startx' is just too
much to type.

Also there's an LALR version of the Twisted Reality sentence parser in
twisted.util.parse; run twisted.util.parse.ParseDemo to get some obscure
debuggging output.  This is a wacky idea of mine, not anything that's
going to get integrated anytime soon, though =)

On Sun, 2 Jan 2000, James Knight wrote:

> Due to Sun's engineers entering in a conspiracy to make it impossible
> to make a JList with contents that would be good to line wrap (like,
> hm, TEXT!), it has taken an exceedingly long time to get a version of
> the Faucet that uses a JList in a usable state. However, now I now
> believe I have whipped it into shape mostly. The bugs that remain are
> mostly of my doing (all having to do with entering and leaving objects
> I believe). I've checked the code into CVS anyways just so people can
> check out the JList and make sure it works on all platforms/versions
> of swing (which is not at all certain due to the amount of poking
> around in Swing's innards that I had to do to make it work properly).
> If you're looking for release code don't use this version though. :)
> Better-working stuff will soon follow. I know of one small display
> bug, that is the expand control isn't transparent. Other than that I
> think it should work pretty well, besides the bugs you'll surely run
> into with entering and leaving objects.

----
The Tao is like a glob pattern:             It is masked but always present.
used but never used up.                     I don't know who built to it.
It is like the extern void:                 It came before the first kernel.
filled with infinite possibilities.         [glyph@twistedmatrix.com]