[Reality] Security Concerns

James Knight jknight@MIT.EDU
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 18:18:02 -0400

At 5:37 PM -0400 10/4/99, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
>I guess I'll just wait for IPSec :)
Completely off-topic:
You don't have to wait, its already here. I'm running it on my machine. The
only problem with it at the moment is that it is not opportunistic. IOW,
you need to configure it for each host (or subnet) you want encrypted
communications to. I haven't tried the linux version since I'm
anti-kernel-recompile (BTW: i think its pretty pathetic that you can
install encryption into the TCP stack of both macos and windows without
recompiling the rest of the OS but you can't on linux. Oh well.), but I
guess you could try it out. :)

PGP 6.5 provieds IPSec support for MacOS and windows, and FreeS/WAN
provides it for linux. If you're using a 2.2 kernel you'll have to use the
development version as the latest release version only supports 2.0.x
kernels.

-James

--
You are in a maze of testy little Java VMs, all subtly different.