[Reality] Re: [Divunal-author]Propgating events (fwd)

Michael Dartt jedin@zaibach.twistedmatrix.com
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 18:57:11 -0700 (PDT)

Lotsa nifty stuff, but only time to reply to one...

> Why too difficult?  We just describe all "outdoor" rooms in such a way
> that a sentence at the end describing the weather or whatever would be
> appropriate, then we make it a description element.  It seems simple to
> me.  (Is this the geek in me overriding the writer?)

	This would prevent the author from having much in the way of
richness in his description.  Ideally, we could allow for, e.g.:

A Path Through the Woods

Oaks and maple trees tower above you, their leaves a rainbow of reds,
golds, and browns.  Fresh air, tinged with the scent of sap, fills your
lungs with every breath.  The chittering of squirrels mixes with a
cardinal's song and the buzz of insects.  The dust stirred by your passage
sparkles as it swirls through the sunlight streaming through the forest
canopy.

A Path Through the Woods

The constant roar of rain on leaves and your body fills your ears as you
squelch your way down the trail, which is barely visible through the storm
and the darkness.  The myriad smells of the forest merge into an
indistinguishable scent that you can describe only as "wet".  Shadows flit
in and out of your view, reminding you that, while you may not be able to
see the other creatures, you are certainly not alone.

	Making a description a bunch of concatenated sentences ruins the
chance to relate different aspects of a place (e.g. time of day, weather,
stuff in the room) to each other.  There's probably an acceptable way of
handling this; I just haven't sat down to figure it out.

	My short answer to your question is: yes.  :-)

--Mike/Jedin