[Reality] Item list

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph@twistedmatrix.com
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 02:44:36 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 24 Dec 1999, James Knight wrote:

> So I finally got around to making the item list an actual list (well
> actually its a JTree), and so now the only problem is that the server has a
> ton of hackage in it to support the lack of a list. (in particular
> broadcast items' contents don't get sent as seperate items but rather all
> smunched together in the description of the container). I'm not sure
> exactly what the best course of action in order to make old clients still
> work and yet do it right is. Maybe it would be okay to just take out the
> hackage and let people with old clients be slightly confused as their
> clients will fail to indent the items (but otherwise work properly)?

Wow, cool!  Yes, complete removal of the hackage is the Right Thing to do.
I intentionally put it in as cruft 'cause it was easier than dealing with
a JTree at the time =).  Make a verbose entry in the changelog and we'll
mark the next release as a Big Deal for the faucet.

(This should significantly reduce the amount of weird updating crap too,
right?)

Thanks a lot; this one was a long time in coming.

----
The Tao is like a glob pattern:             It is masked but always present.
used but never used up.                     I don't know who built to it.
It is like the extern void:                 It came before the first kernel.
filled with infinite possibilities.         [glyph@twistedmatrix.com]