[Reality] faucet rewrite

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph@twistedmatrix.com
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 00:50:22 -0500 (EST)

Just so anybody else who's interested knows:

Since no Win32 GTK compiler expert ever materialized, and it's going to be
difficult to maintain 2 separate versions of the client forever, I'm going
to start favoring the Java one again.  If we're going to do some work with
fancier, flashier multimedia stuff, we can write native bindings to other
toolkits, and what the hey, somebody else would probably find J-SDL
interesting too.

This means that those CX handler thingies would probably best be written
as Java classes too, since doing them in C would totally suck.  I'll have
to work out how exactly to work with multiple toolkits (since I *really*
don't want to stick with Swing or Java2D as our multimedia platform of
choice).

I probably should have listened to James when he first said this =).

However, I've also found that the Faucet is somewhat of a rank mess. I'm
rewriting it now to accomodate a more modular structure (did anyone ever
test it as an applet?  I'd be highly surprised if it works).  Also, the
threading was TOTALLY off; I imagine this is mostly my fault, but I'm
surprised nobody else noticed until now, since the Faucet is the most
heavily hacked part of this thing.  More info at:

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/misc/threads.html

I should have this all fixed pretty soon.

Happy holiday season, by the way. :-)

----
The Tao is like a glob pattern:             It is masked but always present.
used but never used up.                     I don't know who built to it.
It is like the extern void:                 It came before the first kernel.
filled with infinite possibilities.         [glyph@twistedmatrix.com]