[Divunal-author] fictional physics, thaumatology, and other concerns

Allen Short shortwa@auburn.edu
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 15:23:21 -0600

As I understand it, one of the main goals of Divunal is to allow the
players to be creative and produce Interesting Stuff, without having
to code. To my mind, this requires that we design a physics/chemistry
(perhaps magic?)  analogue that allows generalized interactions
between objects; beating swords into plowshares, mixing concrete,
making pocketwatches, potions of levitation, etc. My first guess at
implementing such a system would be to have a list of elements, a list
of physical properties, and their relationship (iron is hard, melts in
a class 4 fire, noncombustible, corrodes slow in water , corrodes fast
in acid, etc). It's rather crude, but I cant think of anything better
at the moment; the key is just to allow new ideas to be implemented
without the help of an author.

Any other thoughts on how to do this?

--
Allen Short, CS Geek                  shortwa@auburn.edu
favorite toys: Lisp/Smalltalk/Python/Jabber/XEmacs/Linux