[Divunal-author]How's Your Free Time?

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph@twistedmatrix.com
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 20:50:25 -0400 (EDT)

I'd like to take an informal poll of authors:

How much free time does everybody think they have to dedicate to Divunal?

If you really have none, or you're not actually authoring for the game,
you don't have to respond. I will assume that anyone on this list who does
*not* respond to this message in the next week is not going to do any work
on the publicly released version of Divunal, which should happen sometime
between January and March this year.

I'd really appreciate it if everybody involved would respond to this
promptly.  We've been really disorganized so far.  That can do a lot for
quick bursts of creative energy for getting the framework in place
quickly, but now we have mature world-building software and a pretty good
idea of where we want the game to go, so we're at the phase of the design
where we are going to start putting up lists of things for people to do
and waiting until they're done.  Knowing what resources we have at our
disposal will be a useful tool in deciding how to run the project moving
forward. It would also be nice to know how much effort we should put
toward garnering *more* resources.

Just so you know, our current list goes something like this:

	* Renovate Castle Greysen and complete the puzzles involved with
	the East and West Wings

	* Finish Tenth's House, do all of the puzzles there

	* Finish Damien's Office, correct some of the stylistic elements

	* Finish Rikyu's tea-thing (and find out what puzzles are supposed
	to be in it!  It *looks* cool, but it's also kinda random.)

This is in a state of flux and what other objectives make it on to the
list depends pretty heavily on what the response to this message looks
like.

I would also like to stress that this message is not intended to determine
the reasons for people's level of contribution (or lack thereof) so please
no sob-stories :-).

If you must err one way or another though, please be sure to err on the
side of getting less done -- I'd rather be ahead of schedule than behind,
but try not to err too much -- it would be impossible to make a schedule
otherwise.

Thanks!

----
The Tao is like a glob pattern:             It is masked but always present.
used but never used up.                     I don't know who built to it.
It is like the extern void:                 It came before the first kernel.
filled with infinite possibilities.         [glyph@twistedmatrix.com]