[Divunal-author]Re: [Divunal-devel] release criterea

Michael Dartt jedin@divunal.com
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 15:32:52 -0400 (EDT)

Well, you covered a lot of what I would say, so this is going to reiterate
things a bit.

I think that we should start by getting a big wishlist--a brain dump of
features, fixes, etc.--from everyone.  This should include specific
technical stuff (e.g. "Add a StringHandler class") as well as general
ideas, (e.g. "figure out what to do with amounts of items, like water and
gold").  Personally, I think docs should be on this list, too.  I'd hope
that people would be comfortable speaking their minds on this, even if
they haven't done a lot of development.  (They may still have ideas for
what would be nifty to have in a game.  This is why I CC'd the author
list; though everyone may be on both at this point....)

The list could then be culled for stuff that's already in and things that
are bad design ideas.  (This could also be handy for a reference on what
needs to be documented and/or what people need to be informed of.  If lots
are clamoring for a feature that's already in there, it's time for some
communication.)

What remains should then be prioritized, putting those "API-breaking
changes" and related stuff at the top of the list.  Then, break the list
into bite-sized pieces and make those releases.

Of course, people can (and should) continue developing stuff that they
really want to develop, but this would at least give some direction to
development and releases and might help out anyone who's been wondering
what's needed on the server side.  Also, I'm sure the pieces would be
adaptable to stuff like unforseen problems and the like.

This doesn't really answer the versioning number question, but I think
that's secondary to establishing what's going into the releases.  Also,
since TR 1.0 is going to be so fanstastically better compared to what's
out there now--much of which is in much later version numbers--I have
trouble saying what the gradations should be.  (I'm also more familiar
with the principle of incremental development than the mystical nature of
the version number, too.)

That's my $0.02

--Mike