[Divunal-author]Doors

Michael Dartt jedin@divunal.com
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 13:56:24 -0400 (EDT)

I've improved the way doors work to allow for greater realism.  Now,
opening and closing a door not only blocks the exit, they inform people
that the door was opened/closed, are compliant with TR's perspectives,
and--perhaps most importantly--it dynamically alters the descriptions of
the rooms the door connects, adding and removing strings to reflect the
door's change of state.  This is to eliminate rooms that had descriptions
along the lines of, "To a steel doorway to the south, you see a row of
bookcases", even when the southern door was closed.

*Please make use of this.*  Convert your old doors as well.  It'll mean a
little extra work, but it will be well worth it.

On a related note, there is now a "locked" boolean property on doors to
indicate whether or not they're locked.  (Big surprise.)  I will be adding
more w/regard to this and keys shortly.

This also involved the creation of the divunal.door.Door utility class,
which currently has two each of open() and close() methods, for greater
customizability; locks and associated stuff will be in there soon.
divunal.door.Open and .Close (the files for the associated verbs) make use
of the new class.

Documentation is at http://www.twistedmatrix.com/authors/doors.html.
Email me with questions, comments, etc., but please read the docs first.

--Mike/Jedin